Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Fraud
In the past few years, the United States Department of Justice, the United States Attorney’s Offices, the United States Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG), Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCU), and the various health care fraud task force groups such as Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Team (HEAT), have been monitoring and investigating companies that provide durable medical equipment (DME).
Many DME companies, their owners, employees, billing companies, and marketers have been accused of and indicted by grand juries for health care fraud and fraudulent billing and coding. Usually the cases involve transactions concerning durable medical equipments such as: power wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, power scooters, orthotics, walkers, hospital beds, dialysis equipment, diabetic equipment, diabetic shoes, body braces, canes, body jackets, HIV infusion therapy, incontinence supplies, hospital beds, and many other durable medical products.
Typically, before a company and its owner/employees are indicted, the government will conduct a very long, rigorous, and tedious investigation into the DME companies business and its owners, employees and customers. Many times there is a grand jury investigation that will take place where the owner, employees, and customers or anyone associated with the business may be called in to testify before the grand jury. If you are facing durable medical equipment (DME) fraud allegations call Eyler Law Offices at 214-540-7750 or email us from our contact page.
If you believe that you are being investigated by the government, you should immediately talk to an experienced attorney who is knowledgeable about DME and health care fraud cases. Eyler Law Offices have extensive experience and knowledge in this area of health care law from years of experience in representing the government in various types of health care fraud cases. We know how to answer when the government comes knocking at your door and accuses you of any wrongdoing or illegal activity. It could be beneficial to the client for us to get involved at the earliest stage of an investigation i.e., during audits and investigations, as this allows us to fully understand the case and help clients possibly avoid criminal charges. If we cannot prevent criminal indictments, we are prepared to vigorously defend our clients in court.
Eyler Law Offices are here to provide clients with the knowledge and experience that is necessary for a diligent and effective representation.
We will represent clients in a variety of health care fraud cases such as the following:
- Submitting False Claims to Medicare and Medicaid, or any other health care insurance company or health care agencies
- Conspiracy to Commit Health Care Fraud (to defraud the U.S. Government)
- Acquiring Fraudulent Prescriptions to Obtain Durable Medical Equipment (DME)
- Forging Physician Signatures
- Medicare Overpayments
- Fraudulently Using Physician Provider Numbers to Order DME
- Concealing the true identity of company ownership (straw ownership) when making false statements and false claims to the government
- Managing a fake/dummy DME company making fraudulent claims to Medicare or Medicaid or private insurance companies using stolen social security numbers and physician provider numbers
- Billing Medicare for more supplies than were delivered
- Not providing the durable medical product that was billed
- Billing for Supplies Without Medical Necessity
- Paying Illegal Kickbacks for Medicare Patient Referrals (offering money or gifts to get people to sign up for a “free” medical exam and then prescribing DME that is not medically necessary)
- Billing for Equipment Provided to Deceased Beneficiaries
- Money laundering
- Identity Theft
- Accepting or Soliciting Kickbacks from Co-conspirator Companies (home health care companies, other DME companies, pharmacies, physicians, etc.) for referring patients to them
At Eyler Law Offices we will ensure your rights are protected and that you are fully informed and understand fully the details of your case. We will fight to make sure your rights are respected throughout the legal process. We will investigate your case to also ensure that the law enforcement officials followed the law and did not abuse their authority at any time in their investigation. Throughout our investigation, we will interview any pertinent witnesses and examine all evidence to help us decide the merits of the case. We know how to review any medical records or billing/coding records or accounts that exist in a DME fraud case. We know how to review search warrants for any potential Constitutional law violations which could lead to an illegal search and seizure ruling in the case. In other words, we know how important it is to review all of the law and facts of an alleged DME fraud case to gain a full understanding of all aspects of the case.
At Eyler Law Offices, we understand that the government has the heavy burden of proving their case and establishing guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You can assure yourself that we will hold them to that heavy burden. We are dedicated to helping you protect your personal rights, freedom and liberty. We will commit to you, to fight to protect your Constitutional rights, and to provide you with the best possible representation and defense to obtain a positive outcome for your fraud case.
If you need an attorney in the Dallas/ Fort Worth metroplex that is experienced with government investigations and DME fraud, and knows how to represent you throughout a government investigation or after an indictment, contact Eyler Law Offices at 214-540-7750 or email us from our contact page.